The Sun’s Glossary of Sports Terms From A to Z

What’s that? You don’t know the difference between Moore and Moran? You better start reading.

Arena: Bruce ’73. Played lacrosse and soccer for the Red. Former coach of the U.S. men’s national soccer team and current head coach of the MLS’s L.A. Galaxy. Member of the National Soccer Hall of Fame.

Bartels Hall: The athletic facility formerly known as Alberding and the Field House. Unfortunately, the Alberding family no longer felt the need to fork over the big bucks — enter Mr. Bartels.

Barton: Barton Hall, the cavernous main gym. Big place where ROTCs hang out, also headquarters for powerhouse indoor track teams and the location of many Cornell final exams. Originally built as an airplane hangar, it is the former home of hoops squads.

Batie-Smoose: Melissa. Current head coach of the volleyball team. Southern Miss graduate who still ranks in the Top-10 on the school’s career list for solo blocks and total blocks.

Baughan: Matt. Golf coach, who has been leading the Red for the past 15 seasons. Also has the honor of being head teaching pro at Cornell’s beautiful Robert Trent Jones golf course.

Beckwith: Paul. Entering his 20th year as the head of the gymnastics program after coaching the team to fourth place finishes in the USAG Nationals and the ECAC Championship in 2011 and 2012, respectively.

Belkin: Home of the Cornell squash teams located behind Reis Tennis Center. Expect big things from the top-notch international courts.

Bettman: Gary ’74. First commissioner of the NHL. Known to show up at Lynah Rink to take in a game every now and then. All three of Bettman’s children have attended Cornell.

Big Red: 1. A type of chewing gum. 2. The nickname for all Cornell athletic teams. Go Big Red!

Big Red Bear: Cornell mascot. Although the bear is brown, not red, students still hold it dear and often pass it in the crowd at football games.

Blood: Dick. Recently-retired coach and engineer of the emergence of Cornell softball as a regional power. The winningest coach in a single sport at Cornell in the more than 125 years of athletics at the institution.

Boothe: Kevin ’06. Anchor of the offensive line during his Cornell career, opening lanes for Red backs. Drafted by the Oakland Raiders in the sixth round of the 2006 NFL Draft, won a Super Bowl with the Giants in 2008 and 2012.

Brown: The color of dirt, but also an Ivy school that doesn’t believe in grades or sports. Best team is football. Officially nicknamed Bears, but the students still call themselves Bruins — their old nickname. Still, as the saying goes, if it’s Brown, flush it down.

B.U.: Boston University. Hockey rival that pulled out of the ECAC in the ’80s with several other teams to form Hockey East. Inspiration for the all-purpose cheer “Screw B.U., [insert opposing team here] too!”

Clubs: Enjoyable organizations that can’t get funding to join varsity ranks. Rugby and ultimate frisbee are two of the most prominent and successful. Occasionally covered in The Sun.

Columbia: League doormat in virtually every sport. Does not even have men’s lacrosse or hockey teams. In the 1980s, the football team broke the all-time NCAA record for consecutive losses. Although it has improved of late, the school would throw a parade down Broadway if it actually won an Ivy title. Added bonus: Opponents can laugh at the light-blue uniforms.

Cornell: Glorious Ivy League university — perhaps you’ve heard of it. Nationally notable in men’s basketball, wrestling, men’s and women’s hockey and men’s lacrosse, among others.

Crew: Grueling year-round sport. Has perhaps the most underrated athletes at Cornell. Who else could endure severe hand blisters or 5 a.m. runs down to the boathouse for two-hour practices in 30-degree weather. Pain is their life’s blood. That said, rowers are widely-considered to have the best bodies on campus.

Cullen:  Terry and his late father Bob, that is. Father-son team that coached the Cornell sprint football team “forever” and guided the Red to countless CSFL titles. In 2006, the Red achieved perfection for the first time since Purple Rain was popular, going 6-0 en route to a national championship.

Dartmouth: Ivy foe strong in women’s basketball, men’s soccer and ice sculpture. Small school, but with proper nourishment could become a full-grown university like the rest of its Ivy pals. Nicknamed the Big Green, a name stolen from the children’s movie of the same title.

Davy: Fight song, played after Cornell scores in any game the Big Red Band bothers to attend, except for basketball where it plays it whenever it can at its own obnoxious decibel level. George M. Cohan stole the melody from “Give My Regards to Broadway.”

Derraugh: Doug ’91. Returns for his tenth season as head coach of the women’s hockey team. He guided the Big Red to the national title game in his fifth season and back-to-back-to-back NCAA Frozen Four appearances in 2010, 2011 and 2012

Devoy: Mark and Julee. Husband-and-wife team starting their elev­enth season coaching the men’s and women’s squash teams, respectively.

Dryden: Ken ’69. Three-time All-Amer­ican, perennial All-Star and Stanley Cup netminder for the Montreal Canadiens. Found his real calling practicing law, however. He was named the general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2004 and inducted into the College Sports Information Directors of America Academic All-America Hall of Fame in May 2005. His No. 1 was retired and lifted into the rafters of Lynah Rink in 2010.

ECAC Hockey League: Eastern College Athletic Conference Hockey League. Large coordinating organization overseeing collegiate sports up and down the eastern seaboard. More specifically, the major college hockey league that Cornell calls home. Gives schools like Union and St. Lawrence an excuse to feel smarter.

Eldredge: Dave ’81. Best polo coach in the country. Need proof? In 2008, the men’s team overcame its underdog status to reach the national finals, where it lost. In 2011 and 2012 the squad fell to the Cavaliers in the final and semifinal rounds of the national championship, respectively. Also holds down the fort for the women’s squad, which earned its 13th national title in 2011.

Farmer: Patrick. Women’s soccer coach. Hopefully this former National Soccer Coaches Association Coach of the Year can help the Red improve from its 7-8-1 season.

Faithful (aka The Lynah Faithful): Half-crazed Cornell hockey fanatics who never miss regular or postseason home games. Climb and bang on Plexiglass and throw newspapers, garbage and fish at opposing players. Don’t like Section O, or the referee Dupree (the one with the bad eyes).

Friedman Wrestling Center: State-of-the-art facility featuring practice and match space, weight rooms, offices, study rooms and locker rooms. Site of two-time national champion Travis Lee’s ’05 135th collegiate victory — a new Cornell record — on February 18, 2005. Benefactor is Stephen Friedman ’59, President Bush’s former chief economic advisor.

Game (aka The Game): Cornell vs. Harvard, hockey style. Action on the ice nearly paralleled in the stands. People throw fish (and in one instance, an octopus) at Harvard players. People used to tie chickens to the net between periods, but the ECACHL stepped in recently. People swear a lot. In between all this, the Red and Crimson play some great hockey. We laughed, we cried. A must see.

Graap: Jenny ’86. Women’s lacrosse coach who helped the women’s laxers to a turnaround season in 1998. She took the team to the Final Four in 2002, garnering Coach of the Year awards. Led the team to its first ever co-Ivy League title and another NCAA berth in 2006.

Grumman: Old squash courts. In high demand since they can be used for racquetball as well.

Harvard: Smug Ivy League school loaded with money, squash courts and stuffy egg-heads. Top-ranked rowing, swimming and hockey teams. Nicknamed Crimson — the bastard child of the color red and poop. Also, introduced the world to the Winklevoss twins. Yuck.

Helen Newman: Original headquarters of Cornell women’s athletics, now North Campus’s home to pickup basketball games, an indoor swimming pool and a state-of-the-art fitness center. Also houses one of the premier bowling alleys on campus or in Ithaca for that matter.

Hoy: Home of Cor­nell baseball. First man to hit one over the formerly big right field fence was Lou Gehrig, according to legendary historian and sports writer Kenny “The Haunter” Van Sickle. The second — again according to Kenny — was George Bush, Sr., in his Yale days, before he moved on to better things. In less important matters, the field underwent a $3.25 million renovation before the 2007 season and in 2008 was named the top road destination in the Ancient Eight in a poll of the league’s coaches.

I.C.:  Ithaca College, the school on the other hill. Division III kingpin in just about every sport. Nicknamed the Bomb­ers, possibly because of an affinity for cheap Ithaca bars.

Jessup: Principal intramural fields located on North Campus. Poor drainage, bright lights, lots of bad bounces.

Karn: Todd. Heading into his fourth year as the head coach of the equestrian program. Assumed the reigns after 12-year head coach Chris Mitchell traded his day job to become the Director of Riding at Randolph College.

Kerber: Chris. Light­weight crew coach since 2008. Led the team to a 4-3 record in head-to-head races during his first season.

Kennett: Todd ’91. BMA. Coach who established lightweight crew dynasty — leading the squad to three consecutive national championships before becoming the heavyweight crew’s fearless leader in 2008. Enjoys putting his team on the erg machine before sun-up.

Koll: Rob. Long-time, legendary wrestling coach and former All-American, Koll has picked up where previous coach Jack Spates left off. His team has won the Ivies 15 times. Led Kyle Dake ’13 to his fourth individual national championship last year.

Lucia: Joe. Brutally honest men’s swimming coach for 27 years. Has the unenviable task of charting his guys to the head of the Ivy waves.

Lynah: Lynah Rink, cradle of Cornell hockey fanaticism. Recently-renovated to add 464 seats to the 3,836 person capacity. Where legends are born and opponents’ dreams are crushed.

Marinaro: Ed ’72. The best player in Red football history. Appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated on November 1, 1971 and was featured in a fall 2007 issue. After a brief stint in the NFL, he followed in the footsteps of another former great — “Broadway” Joe Namath — and tried his hand at acting.

McKee: David ’07. Hockey goaltender rewrote the Cornell record books in only three seasons. Then packed his bags and signed with the Anaheim Mighty Ducks of the NHL. He now plays for the Dallas Stars’ minor league team.

Moore: Charles H. ’51. Former Cornell track star and athletic director. Two-time Olympic medalist and former world record-holder in the 440-yard hurdles.

Moran: Richie. Hall of Fame lacrosse coach. Took Cornell to the NCAA playoffs countless times, winning three national championships along the way. Was once dubbed by Sport magazine as “The Electric Pear.” Presented with the 2012 Spirit of Tewaaraton Award.

Newman Arena: Home of the Red basketball and volleyball teams. Also site of occasional wrestling tournament. Located in Bartels Hall.

Nieuwendyk: Joe ’88. NHL Rookie of the Year for Calgary 15 seasons ago with 51 goals. Took faceoffs for the Dallas Stars until he was traded to the New Jersey Devils to win a third Stanley Cup in 2003. Cornell MVP in 1987 and a NHL All-Star. He has also won the Conn Smyth and Olympic gold. Still owns a house on Cayuga Lake. Saw his No. 25 retired at Lynah Rink on Feb. 26, 2010.

Noel: Andy. Current Cornell Athletic Director. Daily Sun favorite. Who doesn’t love Andy?

Olbermann: Keith ’79. Former energetic and colorful anchor of ESPN’s SportsCenter, making it the cultural phenomenon it is today — so popular that it can get away with the “Who’s Now?” tournament.  Master of the guttural “He put the biscuit in the basket.” Enjoyed the limelight at Fox. Now back for a second tour of duty at MSNBC. Made headlines back in 2009 when he engaged in a verbal spat with conservative political commentator Ann Coulter ’84 (who we like to forget even went here) over the value of his CALS degree.

Pennsylvania: Slimy Ivy rival in Philadelphia. It has strong athletic teams and questionable recruiting ethics. Learn to hate them. They’re ruthless, bad sports and play to win at whatever cost — even if it means throwing toast on the football field. And they call themselves Quakers.

Pidto: Bill ’87. Yet another Cornellian now at ESPN.

Princeton: Yawn. Nickname: Tigers. Location: New Jersey, but fields top-notch basketball and lax teams anyway. Has won more Ivy League titles than any other school with its shady recruiting.

Redman: Cornell wrestling mascot. Has been known to randomly show up at men’s basketball games. Identity unknown.

Sarachan: Dave ’76.  Former head coach of the Chicago Fire, an MLS team. Led Red booters to two NCAA bids in his final seasons at the helm. Two-time All-American at Cornell.

Schaap: 1. Dick ’55. Highly acclaimed newsman who died in 2001. Veteran sports journalist, author of numerous books, sports correspondent for ABC News and host of ESPN’s Sports Reporters. Oh, and he was also once the editor-in-chief of The Sun. 2. Jeremy ’91, ESPN. Followed in dad’s footsteps and is currently correspondent for ESPN’s Outside the Lines. Also, former Sports Editor at the Sun. Came to Ithaca prior to Cornell’s Sweet 16 matchup with Kentucky to report on the men’s basketball team. “In Ithaca, New York, Jeremy Schaap, ESPN.” So legit.

Schafer: Mike ’86. Men’s hockey coach who steered his team to ECAC tournament victories in his first two seasons, then to the squad’s first Frozen Four appearance in 23 years in his eighth. In his 10th, 2005-06, guided the Red to a 22-9-4 record in which the team came a goal away in triple overtime against Minnesota from making the Frozen Four. Fans greeted him then and now with chant, “Kill, Schafer, Kill.” Completing his 19th season behind the Cornell bench in 2013-14, he has coached the Red to the NCAA tournament nine times.

Schoellkopf: Stadium which houses football, men’s and women’s lacrosse teams. Nice view of Ithaca and most of Central New York on clear days on the Crescent side. Artificial playing surface has been called “the Cadillac of turf systems” but has seen its last days at Schoellkopf, giving way to the new wave FieldTurf which debuted last season.

Smith: Dayna. Twelve-year coach of the women’s basketball team. Like many other Red coaches, made her way over from Penn. The winningest coach in the history of the program. During her time as head coach, Smith’s players have earned 21 All-Ivy honors, including one Ivy League Player of the Year award and one All-America selection.

Tanasoiu: Silviu. Romanian-born head coach of the men’s tennis team who has led the Red for the last three years. Led his young squad to a 10-15 record and multiple All-Ivy League Second Team selections in the first season.

Taylor: Nathan. Coach of the men’s cross country and track teams. Came here from Penn, obviously a big improvement for him. His track record proves it: The Red won the Heptagonal Championships in eight of the last 11 years, including 14 of the last 22 combined Indoor and Outdoor Ivy League titles.

Yale: Mediocre Ivy misfits. Not really good at any sport, but what else can you expect from a school in New Haven? Also called the Bulldogs and the Elis. By the way, what’s an Eli?

Zawislan: Jaro. Head coach of the men’s soccer team. Used bad-ass Polish accent to guide the Red to its third consecutive undefeated season last year after the team won the Ivy League in 2012.