Scintillating Science Classes

Classes Abroad

Biology 2650: Tropical Field Ecology and Behavior in Kenya ­­— During winter break, students travel to Kenya to study tropical tropical biology, ecology, and behavioral ecology.

Riku Moriguchi ’13, who participated in the course while he was at Cornell, called it “one of the greatest things I’ve ever done in my life.” He explained game drives — which entailed driving vans through Savannah in the middle of the night with flashlights — as the best part of the experience. Students also have the opportunity to work on three different research projects.

For Fun

Food Science 4300: Understanding Wine and Beer — The science version of the Hotel School’s Wines class allows students to understand what flavor chemicals produce certain tastes — like smoky wines and hoppy beers. One catch: you have to be 21 to enroll.

Horticulture 2010: The Art of Horti­culture — This experiential class allows students to use plants and gardens as art. Students can use photography, watercolor and botanical illustration methods. Alli Hoffman ’12 said, “It was a great course, and a wonderful change from the monotonous days of schoolwork and lectures.”

Natural Resources 3250: Forest Manage­ment and Maple Syrup Production — This hands-on class teaches students multi-purpose ways to manage forests, including how to make maple syrup.

Human Ecology

Human Development 3620: Human Bonding — Why are we attracted to certain people and not others? Human Bonding explores attraction, jealousy, loneliness and attachment among other topics.

Sarah Spiro ’13 said, “Everything was just so incredibly true to your own relationships. When people tell me about problems with a boyfriend or girlfriend I actually find myself thinking through the nine stages of a breakup,”

Nutritional Sciences 1150: Nutrition, Health and Society — Prof. Levitsky, nutritional sciences, writes songs about the digestive system and cooks meals for the whole class. This course teaches students about how to stay healthy in the world of late-night munchies and sleeplessness. Perhaps it can even help keep off the freshman 15.

Jacob Christ ’13 took the course as a freshman and said, “[Levitsky] did a good job of putting it in a holistic sense and making everything applicable to the real world.”